Kamis, 30 Agustus 2012

Sound Improvement / Reduction

Dynamat 10435 Self Adhesive Deadener Xtreme

Dynamat 10435 Self Adhesive Deadener Xtreme

I tried researching this product prior to the installation, and concluded that it works only if it is applied to the metal surface - for vibration dampening. It does not work as a sound barrier like other thicker sound damning materials do. So it seems to me that some recommendations to apply this product to the car doors look misleading - they show the product being installed in place of the door vapor barrier. The inside panel of the door has lots of openings and crevices, and the mat is not going to block the noise when it just covers a large opening. The best place to apply the product to a car door - is the inside of the outside sheet of metal the door is made of.

I tried to cover as much of the door surface is I could, using every leftover piece in the hard-to-reach places. I also applied some of the product around the speaker grills, and on the plastic grill spacers to kill the sound resonance.

I installed this product to my RAV4 car in steps:

- Front doors. It decreased the front tire noise considerably, but the noise shifted to the back. It was very uncomfortable, it felt like increased noise pressure right behind me.

- Rear wheel wells (inside of the car compartment). I noticed that the car had almost no soundproofing in those areas, so the tire noise leaked inside. Result - the overall noise pressure decreased somewhat, but now I could hear very directional road noise coming from the rear doors. The doors edges facing the rear wheel wells allow the noise to leak through.

- I applied the product to the rear doors, paying special attention to cover the door edge (covered both surfaces inside of the door) opposite of the hinge side. Result - the directional noise decreased a lot, so there is just uniform muffled road noise inside of the car, quite comfortable for my ear.

Of course the wind noise is now much more pronounced - side effect of the road noise decrease. My next plan - to cover the hood under the stock hood liner (the metal there sounds like an empty can) to decrease the engine noise, and add more lining inside of the tailgate to decrease the road noise even further.

Get your Dynamat 10435 Self Adhesive Deadener Xtreme Now!

1 komentar:

  1. I'm looking to seal up the sound in my car a little better as well as keeping noise from coming in.

    BalasHapus